New York, USA - October 2006

>> Sunday, October 29, 2006

My first time in New York....An experience I shall never forget. I've always been fascinated by american cities. My friends describe me as a discover and discovering is surely what I did while I stayed in New York for those wonderful 5 days... Let me first begin with my hotel, the Washington Jefferson hotel, located at 318 West 51 st, between 8th and 9th avenues, one block away from Broadway and amazingly close to the Rockefeller center and Times Square. Let's face it: the room was tiny and the price not that cheap, but its location was perfect, it was very clean and the personel was nice and helpful. Each day, I had breakfast at the Cosmic dinner on 52nd street and 8th avenue: good food, nice atmosphere and very good pancakes...not to mention the very nice pieces of paintings on the walls...Across the 51st street, opposite to the hotel, there is a french bistro called the "Tout va Bien" (i.e. all is good), which has been operating in the Big Apple since 1949. I went there once, had snails and one boeuf Bourguignon which I'm going to remember for a long time. The Chef definitely knows what he's talking about...Jean-Pierre, the host, comes from Brittany and he's got the tricks to make you feel comfortable in a second ( glasses of Lillet do indeed help also)...At the bar, I met one sommelier of the Cruiseship "France", who now works in NYC. He had so many stories to tell...A very nice experience during my New York trip. One place I strongly advise!!!

On my first evening, I went to Ellen's Stardust dinner, on Broadway and 51st street. The food there is similar to any other dinner (though I really enjoyed drinking a roots beer once again)...what makes the trip is the waiters singing live in front of you Broadway hits and 60s standards. The place is rather packed but it is definitely worth waiting. A scene to go to while in NYC! Next to Ellen's dinner, go to the Iridium Jazz bar , one of the most famous and broadly acclaimed jazz clubs in the entire NYC. Walk further down on broadway toward Times Square and you'll find the Bubba Gump restaurant....remember the movie "Forrest Gump"? The all-you-can-cook-with-shrimp scene? Well, they've launched a restaurant: the Bubba Gump Shrimp co.. Try their cocktails...and if you happen to sit with a nice view on Broadway, check the news on the opposite building: that's where I learnt about North Korea's first nuclear test. Since I've already spent so much time about food, let me then finish with that topic by mentioning:

  • the very good French Culinary Institute and their restaurant "L'Ecole". Your food is prepared by their students and I wish I could cook like them!!!!!
  • I had the best NY style cheesecake at Lindys on 7th avenue and 53rd street.

  • 0 commentaires:

    About This Blog

    This blog aims at keeping my friends and family up to date about my weekend and holiday trips.
    I consider I'm extremely lucky to be able to travel so much. Not everybody has this chance...Through this blog, I am hence trying to bring pieces of the world back with me, and thereby provide inspiration to my dear ones.

    Ghandi's quote

    "Vivez comme si vous deviez mourir demain. Apprenez comme si vous deviez vivre éternellement"

      © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP