A Sunday on another planet - February 2008

>> Sunday, February 10, 2008


Last weekend, Hanna and me decided to head East....more precisely toward the Hoge Veluwe National Park and the Kroller Muller museum, between Apeldoorn and Arnhem. Surrounded by the A1, A12 and A50 freeways, the national park has three entrances, all very easily accessible (I'd though be careful before using any GPS system...the roads are confusing, even for a very smart navigation device). I would advice entering the park at the Otterlo gate, especially if you consider biking inside the park from one point to another. As a matter of fact, there is no need for driving your car inside the national park. Though driving is perfectly allowed, it does not really make much sense as free (white) bikes are available (as long as supply lasts) throughout the park. Hoge Veluwe by bike is like being on another planet... The landscape is everything but what you would expect and it is such a quiet and resourcing ride in the winter. God knows I am no big fan of biking but I had great fun hopping from one spot to another. Stopping for a cultural break, and a coffee, at the Kroller Muller museum gives you the chance to check an impressive collection of Van Gogh, Monet, and twentieth century artists. If you still have some time left, I'd strongly recommend pushing your ride to the St-Hubertus Jachthuis (hunting cabin...). The view upon the lake and the house is definitely breathtaking. I've been aware of this park for quite many years and I deeply regret it took me so long to get there and enjoy its natural beauty. The Frommer's guide to the Netherlands very appropriately says that "the park shelters a wealth of nature's treasures" and "has solved its transportation issues in a unique way". Winter is a dark season in the Netherlands but Hanna and me have found the perfect spot where we can wait for spring.

0 commentaires:

About This Blog

This blog aims at keeping my friends and family up to date about my weekend and holiday trips.
I consider I'm extremely lucky to be able to travel so much. Not everybody has this chance...Through this blog, I am hence trying to bring pieces of the world back with me, and thereby provide inspiration to my dear ones.

Ghandi's quote

"Vivez comme si vous deviez mourir demain. Apprenez comme si vous deviez vivre éternellement"

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP